Sunday, May 6, 2007

25

life at 25 isn't so bad. getting rid of my false expectations caused some tears but helped my mental health a great deal. i proposed a dissertation (note that that would not have been said so nonchalantly had you talked to me in the days or hours before the proposal meeting), had a weekend in isolation, and finished the class portion of my "junior" year of grad school.

i can't wait until my life doesn't revolve around test dates, applications, pointless class assignments that i hardly see value in, treatment plans (wait... er... i guess i can handle the last one-- that is the field i'm going into). the diss proposal was a big step towards getting there-- there is an end in sight.

i am still mentally working on this list of birthday resolutions. but here's one:

DEFEND the dissertation while still 25. i would be the first person in the history of my program to do that.


eek, only 357 days left!

3 comments:

Citizen Curator said...

how do you defend it? is that a timeline that's up to you?

i'm so proud of you :)

sarah said...

yes- most people defend (that happens after you collect all of the data and then analyze and write it up) after thier internship, 6 or 7 years after entering the program (we just had someone who was 8.5 years into the program defend). few do it after 5 (right after their internship)-- my goal is to be the first to do it BEFORE internship, so within 4 years... and if i can collect all of my data and write it up, i think i'm in a good position to do just that. i want to make ISU history, dammit! :) i gotta work towards something, or i'm just not happy. you know that about me.

Citizen Curator said...

yes I do

I know you can do it. you're one of the 2 most driven people I know.